
Many of you have heard the story in person or read this really nice article in the Brattleboro Reformer, but I figured it would be best to elaborate a little bit on where I'm going and what I'll be doing for the next few months.
My friends Mack, Jon, and I are going to spend the better part of two months volunteering for Conservacion Patagonica, a non-profit which is doing some pretty incredible conservation work. The organization's mission, as described on their slick website, is to:
preserve intact ecosystems by acquiring and protecting privately owned wildlands, and ultimately returning these landholdings to the public domain for permanent protection in the form of national parks or preservesThey've already created one national park, and are currently working on turning Estancia Valle Chacobuco--a 173,000 acre former sheep and cattle ranch--into the future Patagonia National Park. The park will provide connectivity with the Jeinimeni and Tamango National Reserves and will serve to protect a pristine example of the Patagonian steppe.
While we're down there, we'll be doing the hard work of tearing down fences and removing invasive vegetation. Given my past experience volunteering in beautiful places, I'm totally stoked. Plus, the mission and end-product of this organization are truly staggering. To be able to help preserve hundreds of thousands of acres in a sustainable way is a project I'll be proud to be a part of.
No comments:
Post a Comment