Friday, January 23, 2009

Be jealous.

After a 12 hour bus ride from Santiago, Mack and I arrived in Puerto Montt. The bus was significantly nicer than any public bus in the US--reclining seats, a showing of Iron Man, and breakfast. Yes, they serve food on buses here. They barely do that on US airlines!

Puerto Montt was a smallish city, with all that one could expect from such. It did have a very nice beach, which Mack and I sat on all afternoon drinking very good wine. Very good wine which cost about 2 bucks. I could definitely get used to this.

This morning we flew down to Coyhaique. It was only an hour-long flight, but it was seriously one of the most scenic flights I´ve ever been on. For just about the entire flight, we were right over the Andes, looking down on aquamarine lakes and huge snowfields. Then it opened up to high steppe, with a gorgeous earthy palette of browns and greens.

Took a bus from the airport (literally in the middle of nowhere, one runway) with a bunch of gringos and have spent the afternoon wandering around downtown Coyhaique. The central plaza here is shaped like a pentagon, which, for all you urban planners out there, is a novel but horrible idea. Think malfunction junction, but times 9.

We´re headed to the park tomorrow, and I can´t wait. It is absolutely gorgeous here. My kind of place.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Justin! Bet you wish you were still here in Brattleboro with that oh-so-stable job and payheck instead of looking at the fucking gorgeous Andes. It is ten whole degrees here, after all. No? Rock on.

    ReplyDelete